Working at Centauri Summer Arts Camp
Working at Centauri Summer Arts Camp…
Centauri Summer Arts Camp works with qualified and experienced arts professionals who lead each specialist program, and employs university arts students to undertake camp counsellor duties and assist in the arts departments. Two of our counsellors are certified Lifeguards (NLS) and at least one is an experienced piano-accompanist. Our staff also includes a qualified nurse (RN or RPN) and a Health Care Assistant (usually a 3rd or 4th year Nursing student).
Most new staff are hired between January and May each year.
Centauri offers a superb working environment and the chance to live in an exciting arts community, making a real difference to the lives of talented young people.
Applicants for all staff positions must :
1) Have experience in one or more arts disciplines (except for the camp nurse)
2) Have experience teaching or working with young people.
3) Be responsible, caring, nurturing individuals eager to help make this summer a landmark in each camper’s life
4) Be age 18 or older.
5) Be willing to abide by a firm no alcohol, no drug, no smoking policy for the duration of the summer.
6) Be willing to undergo a Police Records Check and attend an interview in Toronto.
7) Be legally able to work in Canada (If you are not Canadian you must hold a work visa or be able to secure one in time for the summer).
If you are 18 by the summer, and you are interested in teaching, leadership, youth work and the arts, please read on…
Being on staff at Centauri is a serious responsibility; one that involves making decisions that affect the welfare and happiness of others. Working as a camp counsellor is rewarding and exciting… it’s also one of the most all-consuming and personally demanding jobs you may ever do! Here’s what we look for in all our counsellors.
- You must have previous work experience, preferably something which involves young people (such as community work or babysitting)
- Either you have completed our LIT program, or you can demonstrate equivalent leadership experience elsewhere
- You must have an interest in the arts! Most likely, you will be studying in an arts program at the university level, though we also hire counsellors to teach recreational sports.
- You need to be available for the entire summer season
- You should be willing to plan all your workshops and activities before camp begins
- You must be ready to put the needs of others before your own, and take care of younger people responsibly
- You must be fun-loving, nurturing, energetic and inspiring!
- Be willing to abide by our staff code of conductSo How do you Apply?
Browse our website, then email us to enquire about current job vacancies. If a relevant position is available, we will request a cover letter, resume and the names and telephone numbers of 3 references (teachers, employees etc.) Click here to email us
Centauri also seeks outstanding qualified RN / RPNs to join its team each summer. Click here for more info.
Arts Program Directors
Each summer, we hire 20+ arts professionals to teach specialist programs at Centauri. Our arts instructors are qualified and experienced in their field, with prior experience teaching young people and developing curriculum. Arts instructors are hired for as little as an 8 or 14 day session, or for multiple sessions. For instructors working with us for the first time, we request that all lesson plans be submitted prior to the summer. Many arts instructors return to us year after year. We offer private or shared accommodation, excellent meals and the chance to be a leader in an exciting arts community, liaising with other artists and participating in the life of the camp.
For further information on the exact positions available for this summer and how to apply e-mail: Click here to email us